What skills does a change manager need to have?
As change management becomes more complex and cross-functional, the skills effective change managers need to possess are growing. This includes a mix of technical and soft skills such as:
- Good understanding of change management principles, techniques & tools.
- Effective facilitation and influencing skills.
- Strong stakeholder management skills.
- Conflict resolution and negotiation skills.
- Good listening and communications skills.
- Strong business acumen.
- Project management and planning skills.
- Analytical mindset and critical thinking.
- Able to cope with pressure.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Team player & able to collaborate with others.
Common change management terms
- Best practice
- Change curve
- Change initiative
- Change management
- Change readiness
- Communication plan
- Communication strategy
- Current state
- Future state
- Gap analysis
- Incremental change
- Individual change management
- Lagging indicator
- Leading indicator
- Learning programs
- Organisational change management
- Step change
- Stretch goal
- Transition state
What qualifications does a change manager need?
Requirements will vary depending on the role, but many change managers often have a degree in a field such as business, economics, management, organisational change management or human resources. Certifications in change management from a recognised body such as Prosci will be highly regarded.
Previous experience in change management or similar positions is a bonus, as is experience and knowledge of project management best practice. Candidates will also require sound understanding of the principles and practices of change management methodologies.
Who does a change manager report to?
A change manager may report to different people depending on the type and size of organisation they are working in, and the project they are working on. In some businesses a change manager will report directly to the CEO, particularly if the organisational change is significant. Alternatively they may report into a CTO/CIO for major IT projects or to the Human Resources Director.
How much does a change manager earn?
Depending on their level of experience and seniority, change managers can earn between AUD90-240k per year in a permanent role, or AUD450-1600 per day as a contractor.
Latest change management jobs
An established Australian financial institution with a global footprint and mature change practice is seeking a Change Manager to work across several Change initiatives on a large regulatory program. Reporting into the Senior Project Director, you...
* Initial 6 month contract with likely extension paying approx. $779/day * Brisbane CBD Location, initially working from home Our client, a large complex state government agency, are currently seeking to engage a Senior Change Analyst to join an...